Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Time is Flying By

I have driven up behind one of these Amish buggies about 6 times. You really have to be careful coming over a hill.. they could be right on the other side galloping at about 3 miles per hour. The first time I was afraid to pass them as I didn't want the horse to get upset by a car being so close to him. I passed them and it was okay. I guess the horses are use to vehicles.

The weather here has been beautiful. Monday and Tuesday it was up to 70 degrees (21C), real shorts and t-shirt weather. Today it was in the 60's, nice fall weather.

We might get some rain tomorrow from tropical storm, Ida. I didn't realize that the rain from a tropical storm or hurricane could come all the way up here while traveling on land. I could see how it could come ashore here from the Atlantic.

Today was a holiday, Veterans Day. All state offices are closed, all banks are closed and there is no mail delivery. A non-work day. Stores conducted Veteran Day Sales and some towns even had Veteran Day parades. It's a sad day for anyone who has lost a friend or loved one in a war.

When I was a teenager we had "the draft". You didn't have a choice about going to war. If they picked you... you had to go. A lot of young men were fleeing to Canada to avoid "the draft". I have a friend from Israel and he said that everyone both men and women are required to serve 2 years in the military. This didn't mean you had to go to war. This meant that you would get some experience/training and if the country needed to fight a war everyone would have some sort of experience or training. I could go along with that. It doesn't seem out laddish to me.

Great News! My special guy found a Volkswagon dealership 20 minutes from where we live. Yippeee I didn't have to drive 2 hours this morning to get my car serviced. That was a great way to start the day!

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment