Friday, February 5, 2010

OMG I saw a Bookmobile

Like Wow, I didn't know that Bookmobiles still existed. I remember them from my childhood. In my 23 years in Los Angeles I never saw a bookmobile.

Bookmobiles were started in Britain in 1859 and the first ones were carts drawn by horses. The first year nearly 12,000 books were loaned out. The whole idea behind the bookmobile was to bring books to home bound people who could not get out to the library. They would lend you the books for a period of time and when the next time they were in your neighborhood they would pick them up.

In Los Angeles I had friends who either read all the time or never read at all. Yep, reading was an all or nothing thing.

Being the bibliophile (lover of books) that I am, it touched my heart to see that bookmobiles still do exist.

Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment