Tuesday, December 29, 2009

OMG I am a People Person

I have long thought that I am NOT a people person. I think I got this idea because it was so difficult to connect with people in Los Angeles. Not only difficult because of time, traffic and jobs but because of hidden agendas. In Los Angeles, because time is so valuable there's got to be some reason for people to go out of their way to spend time with you. I found it not only difficult but exhausting to connect with friends.

Many years ago I had a friend who lived about 6-7 miles from me. We would send emails back and forth to schedule lunch or a quick hour at Starbucks and every time the date would arrive she would have to cancel (i.e. her dog is sick and has to go to the vet, car trouble, don't feel well, got to run errands for her husband, blah, blah, blah). After 1 year of excuses and no meeting. I called her and said, "It shouldn't be soooo difficult to connect with a friend. This is not normal!"

My stock broker said to me, "Dottie you will do very well on the east coast. You are friendlier than the average person." I don't think I am friendlier than the average person. I think I am probably as friendly as the average person.

Well, I have been in Bloomsburg for 5 months and I am having my first dinner party tonight. I have invited 3 sets of neighbors over for dinner. It should be fun and I am really looking forward to it.

I was having dinner on Christmas Day with one of my neighbors and I mentioned that I love to cook Braciola once a year so that I don't forget how to make it. It's a famous Italian dish that I learned to cook while visiting Bari, Italy in September of 2005. I told my neighbor that I had not had a chance to make it this year and he said, "You still have next week." So I decided to throw together a last minute dinner party so that I can cook the Braciola in 2009.

This picture is of a common sight you see in the fall. Unharvested corn fields... go figure. With all the supposedly starving people on the planet, the government pays farmers not to harvest their crops. I tried to find out some inside dirt on this, on the Internet, but wasn't able to find anything substantial. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment