Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Light in the Window

This is something that you never ever see in California.... a lone light in the window. It is done a lot here, mostly during the wintertime. A lady at the store told me that it began many many years ago before there were street lights. A house with a lone light in each window feels so warm and inviting to me. It's like you just know there must be fireplace, bowl of soup and good book inside.

While searching for lights I found that there are two kinds. The ones with cords, which are a royal pain and the ones without. The ones without are on a sensor. They are off for 16 hours and on for 8 hours and last about 3 months. Then you just change the batteries and are good to go. About 1 percent of the people who put lights in the windows leave them up all year. I think I will pack mine way when spring arrives.

The weather here was nothing like they said on the television. Which is pretty amazing. Philadelphia is 3 hours south/east from where I live. They received 23 inches of snow last weekend. We got 2-3 inches of snow.

Yesterday the high was 33 degrees (.05C) here and I took a walk. It reminded me of my trip to Iceland which was done in the month of February. I was out walking around in the cold everyday all day on that trip. The minute the sun started to go down which was around 4:00pm or 4:30pm, it felt like the temperature dropped 30 degrees instantly. And going out at midnight, standing in the middle of a field for 2 hours to see the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) was the coldest I have ever experienced. But it was soooo worth it and I would do it all in a second!

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Did you actually SEE the Northern Light?! OMG; That is something on my X-mas list!!! :-D How cool!

    ReplyDelete