Friday, October 16, 2009

Winterizing Windows

This is my first time winterizing windows and I hope it will be my last. What a chore! You definitely don't do this kind of stuff in the south or the west coast.

This is only done to older homes. You wouldn't do it in the south because it doesn't get cold enough and you wouldn't do it on the west coast because it doesn't get cold enough and all of the homes are new. If someone purchases a home that is 50+ years old, in California, there is a 95% chance it will be torn down and rebuilt.

Here in Pennsylvania it's rare to find a newly built home. It's common to find homes 100 and even 200 years old. The home I am currently renting was built in the 1920's. So it is almost 90 years old. I don't think that they knew about insulating homes in the 1920's so most of them don't have any insulation. Like the one I am currently renting.

I am learning a ton about homes here in Pennsylvania and I am glad that I chose to rent for a year before purchasing. When next spring comes and I am ready to purchase I will know exactly what to look for.

The picture is exactly what my windows look like. You put a strip of this double sided tape along the top, side, middle and bottom of the window. Then you take this clear plastic and place it over the windows and press down on the double sided tape. Then you take the blow dryer and go over the plastic so that it shrinks tightly on the window. It was an extra chore for us because we had to remove the crap that the old tenants had put on the window. Which included some of this double sided tape, a caulking type of junk and some foam shit. My fingers are tried from picking and pealing and I even used a scraper at some point.

I now know that if I purchase an older home I am going to have to factor in the cost of new windows. The newer windows have a double pane so you don't have to worry about this plastic stuff.

Well, I can't type any more today.... as I mentioned my fingers are tried from picking and peeling.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Winterizing windows are the best utilized windows in California. These are often used for the seasonal changes.

    Queens siding

    ReplyDelete