Saturday, October 10, 2009

Time Zones & Rain

The majority of my clients for my legal business are in California, which is 3 hours earlier than the time here. Which also means that my work phone doesn't start ringing until noonish. I love it!

I can get up and casually go about my day doing what I feel is important to me before my work day begins.

Because of this time difference I am sometimes sitting at my desk at 7:00 or 8:00 at night, which is no big deal to me because I have done that a lot in the past. On most days I just stop around 6pm.

Los Angeles may or may not get rain on Monday. This will be the first rain of the season. They haven't gotten any rain since around April. Sometimes the rain doesn't get as far south, to Los Angeles, until November.

It's a real mess when the rain arrives in California. All of the oil from the highways comes to surface on the first day making driving dangerous. People don't know how to drive in the rain and there will be specials on television about hydroplaning. All of the mountains that burned will get soaked with water and begin sliding.

It began raining here the night before last. Intermittent showers with grey skies and a cool breeze. I love it! It feels like a creepy movie. It's like rain... without all the drama you have in California.

One thing I have to do is force myself to go outside. It's not that I don't want to go outside, it's just that from living in California for 23 years I am kind of conditioned that you don't go outside when it rains. It's just a California thing. You actually plan everything around rain. Some people won't even go to work when it rains. I can remember a zillion times when I would have plans to meet a friend for lunch and get the call in the morning, "Hey we need to reschedule, it's gonna rain." or "Hey it's raining, we have to reschedule lunch." In the south and the east people go about their life like normal in rain and snow. This is something I want to get right this fall/winter.

I have a friend who moved from California to Idaho and she wouldn't leave the house in the fall/winter because of the conditioning from living in California. She gained over 100 pounds! Ouch! So I definitely don't want that to happen to me.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment