Monday, October 12, 2009

Bike Riding

One of my favorite things to do is ride my bike.

When I was 14 years old I was given a purple bike. Every day after school I would jump on my bike and take off down the street. We lived in a neighborhood that had large streets and not much traffic. I could ride really fast and feel the wind going through my hair as I maneuvered my way through the neighborhood.

Bike riding in Los Angeles never felt like it did when I was 14 years old. I couldn't ride my bike anywhere other than the beach. Keep in mind, your chances of getting hit by a car just crossing the street are great in Los Angeles, never mind being on a bike.

There's an 8 foot bike path that runs along the Pacific Ocean from Malibu, through Santa Monica, Venice to Marina del Rey. This 8 foot bike path is divided in half. One half is for people going in one direction and the other half is for people going in the opposite direction. It is clearly written with words and pictures that the bike path is for people on bikes or skakes. Not people walking and not people with baby strollers. It's beautiful to ride along the oceans. In facts it is so beautiful that millions of people want to be there so riding your bike on the bike path, along the ocean, can be extrememly stressful. After all, you don't want to run anyone over. So you never get any kind of speed and you will never feel the wind blowing through your hair.

Saturday I took my bike out and rode down the street to the Susquehanna River and along it past the corn fields. I got great speed and could definitely feel the wind in my hair and I thought to myself, "OMG this is exactly what it felt like to ride my bike when I was 14 years old." A great experience which I plan to do more of.

The picture is of my Hello Kitty bike that I spent one year covering with swarovski crystals.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment