Saturday, October 24, 2009

The First Snow of this Season

October 15, 2009, was the first snow of this season. It only snowed for about an hour and hit the ground when it melted.

Last Sunday we decided to drive to Poe Valley State Park. As I drove to the top of the mountain I noticed snow on the sides of the road and the higher we got... the more snow. It was sooooo beautiful seeing the beautiful colored leave in the white snow.

In facts it was sooooo pretty that I had to get out of the car to touch it. The picture is of the snow I picked up.

It started raining yesterday afternoon. A few times during the night I woke up and heard it pouring down outside. It's so different here because you don't wake up to chaos.

In California if it rained, like it did here last night, I would look out of the window and see massive street flooding. People in California use the storm drains as trash cans all summer long, when it isn't raining. So when the rain begins in California it has no where to go except stay in the streets. It should go down the storm drains to the LA river, but it does not always make it there. And then there are the people who don't know how to drive in the rain and so there are tons of accidents.

About 12 years ago my mother came to visit me in Los Angeles. It had rained all night and the next morning she turned on the television and the news man said, "There were 425 car accidents related to the rain, in Los Angeles county, in the past 24 hours." My mother was shocked. I had to inform her that Los Angeles county was pretty big and there are 88 cities the news man was talking about.

I also won't hear of any mud slides here. The burned areas in Los Angeles get soaked with water and then slide down the hills.

Today we are suppose to go to a farm. We met a couple who have organic chickens and we purchase the chicken livers from them for the organic cat food that we make for our 5 cats.

When I woke up, my first thought upon hearing the rain, was that we probably wouldn't be going to the farm today. And then I realized I am in Pennsylvania.... not California.... and people continue on with their lives even in the rain or the snow.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. DennizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzOctober 24, 2009 at 8:59 AM

    OMG, ...you guys continue with life when it rains?!?!?! :-D
    I wish we had snow here too! SO much!
    Thnx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete