Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Today is the 16 Year Anniversary of my Legal Business

16 years ago today I began my legal filing service, Professional Legal Assistors. The day I began it I said to myself, "I only want to do this for 10 years." The 6 years that followed that 10 year mark has flown by. I guess it just wasn't meant for me to do for only 10 years.

I have always worked in the legal field. I am good at it but don't like the fact that there is nothing creative about it. I have built up a loyal database of clients and a reputation that proceeds me and I do feel thankful and blessed however, my sister will tell you, I have worked my ass off in this business. For 3-4 years before 9/11 happened, I worked 80 hours a week.

Once a month I would work for 36 hours straight. I had it pretty dialed in. It would begin on a Wednesday morning at 7am. At 5pm on Wednesday I would leave my desk and run to the post office. I would grab a small bite to eat and sit back at my desk at 6pm and begin working, with gummy bears, red bull and techno music. At 6am I would jump in the shower and then sit back at my desk working away. At 3pm I would call The Cheesecake Factory and order dinner. I would then go to the post office, pick up dinner and head home. I would eat take a shower and be in bed by 6pm. I would sleep 11-12 hours. At 7am Friday morning I would be back at my desk and work a normal 11 hours day (7am to 6pm). My Mother use to say, "You shouldn't work like that you will get sick." I never really knew how sitting at my desk working for long hours would make me sick. I mean I wouldn't have done it if I didn't want to.

Personally, I was delighted when business slowed down after the 9/11 incident. No one needs to work like that.

I now have a more relaxed attitude toward working. I am responsible and I do what needs to be done. I feel differently about it. It's not who I am. It doesn't define me. It's just a job.

The short video is of some birds that I saw one morning in California. It is the second time that I have seen a bunch of black birds sitting on a wire or line and there is one white bird amongst them. I have wondered, "Do the black birds know that the white bird is different than them? Is the white bird there delivering a message?"

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment