Monday, January 18, 2010

I Learned More about my Neighbors


Last Saturday night my neighbors, who live in the large purple house, had a neighborhood pot-luck dinner. There were about a dozen people. It was interesting to get to know them as the majority are not from here. Most are retired engineers and surgeons. All moved here for an easier life-style, everything in walking distance, no crime and the University.

This is totally wild, the guy who lives next door to me, well his grandparents were from Sicily and Naples, so were mine. They boarded the boat to leave Italy but it the port was filled in New York so it was diverted to New Orleans, same thing happened to my grandparents. His grandmothers maiden name was "Nuccio". I went to school for many years with a Nuccio. His family lived (until Katrina) in Chalmette, so did mine. After graduating from college as an engineer he went to work for Nasa in Pasadena, CA. When the oil industry bottomed out in New Orleans in the late 80's I moved to California. Two years ago he moved from CA to PA. Last year I moved from CA to PA. As we were talking another neighbor said, "You guys have been living parallel lives." And it was so freakin' true and bizarre at the same time. Like what are the chances? His name is Scott and upon attending his 25th high school reunion he connected with his school friend, Mary, and they have been an item ever since. That's some cool stuff too.

The picture is of a bar of soap and the reason is because this morning I woke up to an email from a friend who lives in Auckland, New Zealand. We met in December 2008 when I vacationed there. She is super fun and she makes these amazing soaps. Here is the direct quote from her email, "I heard of a massive soap called a bath soap which is a huge bar of soap (so you wont lose it in the bath) selling really well in America." Like Wow, I didn't realize that we are the only country with "a massive soap called a bath soap". But come to think of it, we are. It's these things that just blow me away and I guess that is why I love traveling to different countries. I don't know, I don't think I can ever look at my massive bar of soap and not think of Kesten in New Zealand.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment