Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rolling Blackouts

Living in California offered me an opportunity to experience "rolling blackouts".

They occurred from May 2000 to September 2001. Because California's population increased by 13% during the 1990s, the state did not build any new major power plants during that time. Also because of the heat, people were using more electricity and it put a strain on the grid. You weren't warned when you would be without electricity. You would just be working and all of a sudden the power would go off and it would be off for a few hours. A lot of businesses complained that big equipment could be damaged if the power went off while it was in use. Businesses would just lock their doors and put a sign on the door "closed to rolling blackout". You knew if the street signals weren't working that for sure all the stores would be closed.

Countries such as Africa, Nepal, Pakistan and a few others are use to rolling blackouts. California is the only state in the US that experienced them. That's wild!

The thing that got me to thinking about the rolling blackouts is that I have heard the heat is now in the triple digits in Woodland Hills, where I moved from.

The warmest weather I have experienced here is 90 degrees. Yep, we have humidity but I don't mind. My skin welcomes the moisture. I feel that is much better than drying up to a crisp and blowing away...lol...lol...lol...

I didn't have a picture of a rolling blackout...lol...lol.. and was lucky enough to find this beautiful rose to share with you.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment