Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Only in LA

Kitty wasn't doing very well this morning. His breathing was still very bad. He wouldn't eat a bite. Last time he ate was yesterday morning.

I decided to take Kitty to his regular vet. The vet said his breathing was labored. It was harder for Kitty to breath in than to breath out. The vet wanted to take a x-ray. I didn't have the x-ray from Sunday night. I should have asked for it Sunday night... however, it was midnight and I was on east coast time and it felt like 3am to me.

The x-ray this morning revealed a spot on Kitty's lung. His white blood cells were high so the vet changed his antibiotic and he is now on zithromax and was also given pills to increase his appetite. The vet asked me to go to the 24-hour vet and get a copy of the doctor's report and x-ray. He wanted to send it along with today's x-ray to the radiologist to get an opinion on what the spot is on Kitty's lung. The vet told me that a package was going to the radiologist at 12:30 today and he would like Kitty's x-rays in that package.

I called the 24-hour vet and told them what I needed. I came home and dropped Kitty off. I went to the 24-hour vet and was surprised by all the big trucks, cars and people at the vet's office. The guy guarding the office door told me I couldn't go in because they were filming. I looked around and realized that they were shooting a movie. Inside the parking lot were cages of animal actors, which included birds, cats and dogs. I started to get upset because I knew I had to drive in the Los Angeles mid-day traffic and get back to my vet by 12:30. I told a guard that I had to get into the vet. He let me in. Upon walking into the vet it was like chaos at it's finest. The makeup girl had her setup in the waiting room. Lights, cables, cameras people everywhere. Some guy was running around yelling "Quiet we're filming". I got Kitty's information and returned to the parking lot only to find out my car was blocked in. A security guard said to me "They are filming a feature film with Ben Stiller. You like movies, don't you? Then you shouldn't mind this." I told him that I was alarmed to think that they couldn't build a vet's office in the studios and that they had to disrupt people. And I don't love movies more than I love the well being of my pet.

It's all perception you know. Today my perception of the ordeal of them filming a movie at the vet's office where I had to go was that I am over it. A lot of filming goes on in this town and it really is disruptive. The vet gets paid at least $15,000, per day, that they shoot in his office. 20 years ago my perception of today would have been very different. I would have been excited and called my sister and said "Wow, it was so cool. Really amazing."

I have a friend who rented his house out for filming. The picture is of me and Val Kilmer, taken at my friends house, while filming the movie Wonderland in 2002.

Ciao

1 comment: