Thursday, February 12, 2009

Welcome to my Blog!

Hey Friends & Family,

My friend, Melita, who passed away this past Monday, taught me the benefits of a blog. Her blog was www.myleftlung.com. The blog helped to keep everyone in the loop and aware of what was going on.

I am probably the last person to jump on the blog wagon. I usually sit back and wait until I really feel the need to do something before I do it. Personally, I got enough on my plate without trying every fad or new thing that comes along.

I am lucky to have friends all over the world and I think that blogging will be easier to share with them. Blogging will not replace people contact... so when I am in your neighborhood I would still like to spend some time, in person, with each and every one of you.

As most of you are aware I am embarking on yet another major life experience. I am moving away from California. I was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. I came on vacation to California at the age of 23. I was surprised by the energy level of everyone in California. I couldn't believe it, everyone I met had 2 jobs. Most of the people back home were lucky to have one job. I went back home to New Orleans and announced "In 5 years, I am moving to California!" I got all my ducks in a row and made my plans. At the 5 year mark I announced "I am moving to California!" That was Memorial Day weekend 1986.

Upon arriving to California I knew deep down inside that I only wanted to live here 20 years. I knew 20 years would be enough for me. Don't know how I knew it then. But I did. I never thought about where I would move after California. I have enjoyed truly amazing moments in California and done everything that there is to do here many times. Year 19 I began to feel the "doneness" of living here and I remembered I only wanted to live here 20 years so the feeling of being done and wanting to move on felt natural.

In year 19 I met someone who was hell bent on me staying because he did not want to leave California. I still wanted to leave. I put an offer in on a home in Mississippi. My offer was turned down and weeks later hurricane Katrina blew that house away. I guess it really wasn't time for me to leave here.

I still knew deep down inside it was time for me to move on. Last year I met someone who lives in Northeast Pennsylvania. That meeting has opened me up to a whole new world of possibilities in more ways than one.

I love going to new places and experiencing new things. I believe you must leave the old behind and show up at every new experience as if it were the first. This way you get the "true" experience. For example, if you go into a restaurant and order onion soup and with every bite you compare it to every other onion soup you have ever eaten... I don't know.. that doesn't sound like a great experience to me. So when I go to a new place, I don't compare it to somewhere I have been before. I accept and enjoy it for what it is. For me, it's a cool way to live!

The picture on this post is of the Pacific Ocean taken from the Getty Museum. This is about as clear as you will see and this was taken on one of the 'good' weather days. 90% of the time the "Coastal Eddie" (fog) is the view, not the ocean.

Ciao

2 comments:

  1. Wow - good to see you finally took the leap! :b

    I love the photo & post - but eill miss you lots!

    BTW - something is wrong with your follow section - doesn't ask me if I want to follow - so I can't!

    Robyn Hawk
    http://tucsongemshow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - it came up as soon as I posted a comment - good start!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete