Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I won't miss the Helicopters!

I was awakened last night at 12:07am by an all to familiar sound.... helicopters flying around in circles over where I live. In LA you can hear this sound at any time of the day or night. It's best to make sure that all of your doors and windows are closed and locked. Why? Because those Dudes in the helicopters are lookin' for someone. And that someone may be lookin' for a place to hide. Any open door or window will be a bit inviting to someone on the run. The helicopters stopped shortly after 2am.

I know you are probably wondering what kind of neighborhood I live in. Well, I wonder that too. Remember I live in a place where you don't believe any of what you see and 1/2 of what you hear. I recently discovered that crime in my neighborhood does not get leaked out to the public through the news media.

Woodland Hills is one of the 88 cities in Los Angeles county. It is located in the San Fernando Valley just over the hill (really a mountain) from Los Angeles proper and Beverly Hills. Woodland Hills has been labeled the valley version of Beverly Hills. It's small like Beverly Hills and we have just about everything that Beverly Hills has, i.e. celebrity sightings, Morton's steak restaurant, Ruth Chris' restaurant, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue, etc. Literally everything you could ever want or need is within a one mile radius of where I live. Within one mile I have Whole Foods, the post office, Home Depot, Borders, Barnes & Noble, Bed Bath & Beyond, Petco, Pet Smart, Burlington Coat Factory, Walmart, 2 Target stores, Party World, Ross, and these are just a few. Three blocks away are 2 malls.

About 2 months ago, I left my home at 2:00 on a Thursday to run some errands upon arriving at my "guarded" apartment complex I noticed that the streets surrounding my complex were blocked by police cars. All entrances to my complex were blocked. Helicopters were flying over head. No one could get in or out. I called the apartment office and said "Hey I live here. I can't get in. What's going on." And they said ..... "Can't tell you." I was like "What!?!?! I live here!" They said "Sorry. Can't tell ya." I walked up to one of the police men who was standing by his car blocking the street and said "Hey I live here. What's going on?" And he said "Can't tell ya." I called the local news team and said "Hey do you know there is something going on in Woodland Hills at this apartment complex?" And they said "Yes, we know." I said "Well, I live here. What's going on?" And they said "Can't tell ya." For 3 hours no one was allowed inside or outside of the complex. Then after 3 hours the helicopters flew away, the police went on their way and people were allowed back into the complex. I immediately surfed the Internet and channel surfed the television. And I couldn't find anything that mentioned what had occurred where I lived. The funny thing is that just a few miles away in a less desirable part of town if someone suspected something the police and helicopters would be there and it would be on every local news channel live while it is happening.

The sound of helicopters makes me feel uneasy. Why? Because they aren't going to a party and they aren't celebrating anything good. It's all because something negative is occurring. Since moving to California I have heard helicopters circling my neighborhoods at least once a month if not more. A sound I hope I never hear again after moving away.

The picture is of me taken at New Years 1989 shortly after I arrived here in California.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, this blog might disturb the FBI... ;-))

    ReplyDelete