Monday, February 16, 2009

The Rain's Coming

I was suppose to have lunch with a friend this week, except he called on Friday and said "I am not sure about lunch next week. The rain is coming." And there was a pause and I thought "WTF". And he said, just what I thought I heard, "The rain's coming." Even after living here 23 years it is still hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that life pretty much comes to a standstill when it rains here.

I am sure that the grocery stores were packed yesterday in anticipation of "the rain". And I am sure that if I turn on the television I will be able to catch the "Storm Watch" on any local channel.

So here's the real scoop on "rain" in California. We don't get rain from about April to October. This year the rain came much later and it was December when it arrived. During the time of no rain the storm drains get filled with trash. Then when the rain does get here the storm drains don't work properly and we get a lot of road flooding. Also, people in California drive the same way that they do when it rains as when it doesn't, which isn't good.

My Mother came to visit me about 10 years ago and it was in February. It started raining on a Sunday night. The next morning my Mother turned on the television and she was shocked when she heard that there had been 425 car accidents in the last 24 hours in Los Angeles County. This number can be a bit misleading, so to be clear, LA county covers 88 cities. Still 425 car accidents are a lot.

The first rain of the season is the most dangerous. All of the oil from the roads comes to the surface. The new channels have special segments about hydroplaning.

The biggest mess that occurs when it rains here is that the mountains that were on fire. Remember we get the "fire seasons". Well, when the burnt mountain gets soaked with rain it starts to slide. So houses will slide off of mountains and into the roads. It can turn into a big mess.

Most people don't even go to work when it rains. I have noticed that my work line rings a lot less when it rains.

A few weeks ago I was on the phone with my Honey and it was 23 degrees and snowing in Pennsylvania. He said that he wanted to call me back because he wanted to move his vehicle. He said that his new neighbors were moving in. I was shocked. I said "It's snowing. They are moving in the snow?!?!" And he said "Yes. The grocery stores are open, the mail gets delivered and life goes on."

On a recent visit to Pennsylvania we were driving around in the snow following the real estate girl and walking around homes out in the snow, all like it wasn't even happening. I was a bit surprised when I saw a school bus stop and a bunch of teenage kids getting off with short sleeve shirts on walking, talking and laughing just like it wasn't even snowing.

My friends, who were born and raised here in California, have informed me that I will need to purchase not one but two generators! My Honey who was born and raised in Pennsylvania informed me that he remembers the power only going out once and it was for about 15 minutes.

The picture is of my cat, Kitty, in my living room.

Ciao

2 comments:

  1. The power goes out much more often during thunderstorms. I don't remember ever loosing power during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaha, not going to work when it rains? Sounds like a great plan! That'll be 365 vacationdays a year for me! I love the Californian mentality!

    ReplyDelete