Saturday, February 14, 2009

This Could be the Last Valentines Day!!!!!

I know I am not the only one who dislikes this "man made materialistic sorry excuse for love day", right? If we are gonna keep it, it should be renamed to more accurately reflect what it does or signifies.

Here are a few names I came up with... "Emotionally Handicap Day", "I don't Know How to Express my Love any Other Way Day", "Buying your Love Day". "Embracing my Inner Insecurity Day". And here is my favorite "Happy Hypocrite Day!"

Why can't you just pick a random day (if expressing your love has to be done on a specific day) and just express your love? Why does expressing your love have to include the world of economics? The cave men couldn't go out and purchase something to show their love. And they didn't have a special day in which to express their love. Hell, they didn't even have calendars.

Valentine's Day is another economy driven day. Since we are in a recession I noticed that the Valentine's Day stuff were put in the stores in a more timely fashion like a couple of weeks before Valentine's Day instead of before Christmas. I also noticed that instead of 6 isles of Valentine's Day stuff at Rite Aide, there were only 2. I think we are on the right track here.

I would like to see Valentine's Day disappear completely in the future. Hey, I am saying this from a Happy Place and a Realistic Place. Hello, they got rid of the planet Pluto! And personally, I think that little planet was a lot more important than Valentine's Day.

Today everything is being revamped and overhauled, i.e. the SEC, the FDA. Why not just throw in Valentine's Day?

I don't want to be a hypocrite, I did purchase a Valentine's Day card for my Honey. But not because it was Valentine's Day, it was because it had cats on it! It could have said "Happy Crap Day!" and if it had all those little happy cats on it, well.... I would have purchased it. I did let my special man know that I wasn't being hypocritical by giving the card and it really was all about the cats.

Last year a friend of mine called me and told me that he sent his girlfriend 1,000 tulips to work for Valentine's Day and also a bunch of flowers to her home. I personally thought this was insane. I asked him "Dude why did ya do that?" And he said as he thrust his chest forward (I could hear it happening).. "So she could have bragging rights?" Huh?!?!? Okay, let me get this straight.... he didn't send them because he loves her dearly or it's her favorite flower. He did it so she can say "Look at what my wonderful boyfriend did!" Okay, that's an ego driven act in my book. That expression of love was not about love and all about how he looks to her friends. Oh, please.... that's pretty sad and pathetic.

I suggest when you purchase your 2010 calendar you go to February 14th and white-out the words "Valentine's Day" and then pick a special day, if you need one, and write "Do Something Special for my Honey". That's it! Create your own "Love Day"!

The blue heart was drawn by me.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Haha, SO TRUE! I am glad another person joins the club! Maybe you could make a t-shirt out of it; Valentines Day = Emotionally Handicap Day. (Can I have royalties for the T-shirt concept? Then I will be able to buy my lover a great Valentines Day present next year, ...LOL)

    Nice one Dottie!

    ReplyDelete